Wednesday 17 July 2013

Chantal


It’s been another week already!

I feel like I am getting more comfortable with the Gringo Mafia in town and I have really started to enjoy getting to know some of the volunteers better, and remembering why I came. I felt for a while that I was losing site of why I was here and getting caught up in meaningless drama, but this week I feel I have sorted it out as best I can. I came here because I wanted to help people and I wanted to make some friends on the way and I have reflected a lot this week about my time here, because I still have time to change things and leave with my original intentions fulfilled. I haven’t done everything right here, I have made mistakes but I have decided that I am doing the best I can if I am being true to myself, and this I know I am doing. I am no super woman but I am doing the best I can just being me.

I realize that I am being highly nostalgic (my friends at home love it when I do this!) but this week I have started to look at things and wonder if it would be the last time I was there. I know I still have 4 weeks (which will fly by) but with all of the 4 week volunteers talking about leaving this weekend, it’s hard to not think about going home. The hot shower, a toilet seat, what food I want... (It’s a vicious cycle!)

Now on to my week here, nothing to exciting happened, but I spent the week just enjoying the volunteers, the camp, the kids, and everything. Don’t get me wrong, every week has it’s challenges as did this one, but for the most part I simply enjoyed.

On Wednesday we had the hurricane Chantal winds and rain that impeded on camp and the day was spent watching the storm, playing cards and other things. Part of me was really excited to have a hurricane come but it turned out to be anti-climatic when it got downgraded back to a tropical storm. I am happy that everyone is safe and there wasn’t much damage here in town.

Thursday all the volunteers played soccer together (without kids) which was so fun. Although I didn’t play it was fun to watch.

Friday and Saturday was the usual go to the park and sit, drink, and hang out.  The last time I will be doing that with many of the volunteers that were here because they will be leaving so soon.

 


Sunday a few of us went to playa Caleton in Rio San Juan. It was lovely, as are all beaches here. Sunday night there was a surprise birthday party for Fiona at their house. It was so fun we sat by the pool and Anthony made dinner. After dinner when everyone started to depart we got back in the pool to play a highly competitive game of volleyball. It was so fun that we ended up having Emily, Kelly and Shawn jump in the pool with their clothes on.


Monday night I got a tour of this amazing palace built into the side of a clift, but guess what I didn’t have? My camera! Oh well... then I went to watch a local baseball game. It was so cool to just chill out and feel like a local, plus it is always cool to watch a game in a new culture.

These are really the only interesting things to report. However this Friday at camp there is going to be an Olympic day, so you can look forward to reading about that next week. You better believe I am excited for it!

Also my Spanish had become pretty darn good if I do say so myself! Keep in mind my vocabulary is best for working with children, but none the less I am so proud of how much I have learned in the last few weeks. The camp has pushed me outside my comfort zone and challenged me to do more.

Much love!

P.S. This post is named after to things one being the hurricane that visited this week and the other being that this storm is a small reminder of the storm my brave friend Chantal went through 5 years ago this week when she received a stem cell transplant. Happy birthday stem cells!

No comments:

Post a Comment